Summary: Whose we are.
Scripture: 1 Peter 2:1-8
1 So put away all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander. 2 Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation— 3 if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good. 4 As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, 5 you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6 For it stands in Scripture: “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone chosen and precious, and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.” 7 Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe, “The stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone,” 8 and, “A stone that causes people to stumble and a rock that makes them fall.”
They stumble because they disobey the message—which is also what they were destined for.
God reminds us that we are...
- No longer adherents to this world (1)
- Nourished by the Word of God (2-3)
- Alive in Him (4)
- A vital part of the Body (5)
- Built on Him (6)
- Not like the lost (7-8)
What The Gospel IS NOT:
- It is NOT going to church
- It is NOT reading the Bible
- It is NOT doing good things
- It is NOT believing in God
What The Gospel IS:
- Recognize we are sinners (Ro. 3:23)
- Know that our sin separates us from God (Is. 59:2)
- Realize we owe a debt for that sin (Ro. 6:23)
- Accept that this makes us an enemy of God (James 4:4; Ro. 5:10)
- Understand that Jesus paid that debt on the Cross (Colossians 2:14)
- Confess and believe (Ro. 10:9-10)