After telling us what really matters, Paul then tells us why it really matters.
Summary: Paul tells us why it really matters.
Scripture: Philippians 3:12-21
12 Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. 13 Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 15 Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you. 16 Only let us hold true to what we have attained. 17 Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us. 18 For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. 19 Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things. 20 But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.
This is WHY the Gospel matters-
- It is the only way to achieve God's goals. (12-14)
- It is the only way to even desire God's goals. (15-16)
- It is the only way to know I really belong to Him. (17-19)
- It is the only thing that ensures I end up in Heaven. (20-21)
What The Gospel Is NOT:
- It is NOT going to church
- It is NOT reading the Bible
- It is NOT doing good things
- It is NOT believing in God
What The Gospel IS:
- Recognize we are sinners (Ro. 3:23)
- Know that our sin separates us from God (Is. 59:2)
- Realize we owe a debt for that sin (Ro. 6:23)
- Accept that this makes us an enemy of God (James 4:4; Ro. 5:10)
- Understand that Jesus paid that debt on the Cross (Colossians 2:14)
- Confess and believe (Ro. 10:9-10)